Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Growing Older



I had a revealing conversation yesterday while picking up Enoch and Sarah from their sprouting ground near the Capitol. A neighbor came to talk with me while I was digging the seedlings out and I told her that I was getting them to make bonsai trees. I told her I am for the first time actually intentionally getting seedlings this year.

I grew up tending bonsai trees and was an avid student at the Weyerhouser Bonsai Gardens workshops and gallery. Trees like this bald cypress were a majestic yet common sight. I realized that the reason I never sought out seedlings is because I was all about the "instant" gratification bonsai experience. I wanted old trees and didn't want the responsibility for their seasonal care year after year so I would sell them.

But now as I am entering my third decade of life I am realizing that I am a pretty big boy now and am actually ready to intentionally take on projects that will take 10-20-30+ years to complete. That even if I only start the project and serve it for 30 or 40 years that none of that time is wasted. None of that intentionality is lost. That its the journey that is the goal.

I once heard that when you're in your thirties its your time to start viewing the world through the eyes of responsibility. That it is now your job to put your energy and intentionality towards the things that you truly intend and want to be around well after you are gone.

So today I honor my process. I honor my responsibility, patience and most of all my rooted friends that lead my heart back to God. Back to love. Back to peace. Thank you




No comments: